American Oceans

Do Lion’s Mane Jellyfish Sting?

Lion’s Mane Jellyfish are exceptionally large and certainly have a lot of tentacles! With this said, this species of jellyfish does sting. However, they are not as dangerous as most people think.

Lion’s Mane Jellyfish Tentacles 

lion's mane jellyfish yellow tentacles One of the most incredible parts of the Lion’s Mane Jellyfish is its tentacles. They have been known to reach lengths of 120 feet long!

This species of jellyfish has up to 1,200 tentacles in clusters of 70 to 150 each. There are eight clusters in total under the bell of the jellyfish.

The color of the tentacles are generally red and yellow, which gave the jellyfish its name as it resembles a lion’s mane! The actual bell of the jellyfish can take on many different colors.

The tentacles also contain large amounts of neurotoxins, which is what affects you if you get stung. Saying this, the tentacles are not poisonous, so most people who get stung do not need medical attention.

How Dangerous are the Stings?

lion's mane jellyfish prettyIf you happen to get stung by a Lion’s Mane Jellyfish, don’t panic! While the stings are painful, the effects rarely progress to anything dangerous.

In rare cases, victims of stings from these jellyfish may result in some kind of allergic reaction. This can be as simple as rash or as life-threatening as a respiratory reaction. 

If you believe you are having an allergic reaction to this jellyfish, especially if you are having trouble breathing, seek medical attention immediately. 

In most cases, however, it is best to seek out a lifeguard and ask for help and advice in terms of treating the pain and stung area.

What Should I Do If I Get Stung?

small lion's mane jellyfish The first thing to do after being stung by a jellyfish is to get out of the water as soon as possible. If you can, alert others around you that there is a jellyfish.

As stated above, if you believe that you or someone else is having an allergic reaction to a jellyfish sting, seek medical attention immediately. Call a lifeguard in case CPR needs to be performed.

If you are in pain but no reaction is present, still alert the lifeguard. They will be able to remove other swimmers from the water to prevent anyone else from being stung. Additionally, they will know what to do to help your painful situation, and may even have what is known as a “jellyfish kit.”

If no lifeguard is present and you are not having an allergic reaction, the next best thing you can do is go home or get to a building with running hot water. 

Once you are in a secure location, remove any stingers you can see with tweezers. Do not use your fingers to remove them!

Next, try to soak the infected area in hot water. A bath or shower is perfect for this part!

Afterwards, keep an eye on it and take some pain medication. If you feel dizzy, nauseous, a fever, or have trouble breathing, call your doctor. These could be signs of the start of an allergic reaction.


The Lion’s Mane Jellyfish does sting, and while most stings are painful, they rarely become life-threatening or fatal. 

Add comment